Most colleges require applicants to submit an admissions essay that explains why they should be accepted into their institution. The purpose of which is for the admissions office to help them limit the number of students only to those that meet the standards of the academy.
For most, the pressure of writing an excellent essay can be intimidating and stressful. In Toronto, there are certain companies that can help these students write a compelling essay that can save time and energy like Master Essay, Essay Experts, and Custom Essay Writing Services. If you wish to write your own, you first have to create a rough outline of the points you wish to include in the piece and start developing from there.
Another thing to remember when writing an admissions essay is that there is an expectation from the admissions committee for you to stand out. When writing a draft here are some questions to consider which can act as a guide on how you’d like to form your essay:
- What makes you the perfect candidate for this university?
- What can you bring to the institution that no one has brought in a long time?
- What kind of student would you be if you were accepted?
After considering these potential guide questions, here are some tips on making sure your essay stands out from the rest:
- Write a powerful introduction. For most readers, the introduction is considered as one of the most critical parts of the essay. This is the part where your reader makes their first impression of you as a person and how you present yourself. Grab their attention immediately like making a bold statement or directly speaking to the reader.
- Showcase your creativity. Consider other forms of writing incorporated into the essay, if you would like to provide an anecdote, remember to keep it brief.
- Do your research on the institution. Research more about the college you wish to enter. Learn about their history, the different departments, and some important points of interest you’d like to include in your essay. This helps you formulate reasons on why you considered their college compared to the rest. This also shows the committee how much time you’ve invested in learning their institution and their standards of education.
- Invest in your future. Once you have researched on the university, consider adding points on what area you’d like to study and how it can help your future. For example, students who are interested in graphic design can write about how the university’s graphic design course can help improve their skills.
- Be yourself. Many of us might get carried away and write what we believe they would like to read; but this only comes across as insincere and generic. Show your strengths and how you’d like to improve the following years as a student and allow your true self to shine.
- Proofread. Regularly reread your writing and make the necessary corrections as needed. Check for any misspellings and whether the flow of the essay comes across as natural. Keep important points you’d like to keep and remove any unnecessary wording or phrases.
Remember than an admission essay should not be considered as an academic paper. Keep your essay simple and add a dash of creativity without necessarily bombarding the piece with flowery words. You can also start simple and add bits of creativity here and there to help it stand out from the rest.